Valentines Chocolate Truffles
Recipe provided by Austin Chef and Corporate Caterer Carlos Crusco
- 4 ounces of semi-sweet chocolate – roughly chopped
- 4 ounces bittersweet chocolate – roughly chopped
- 1/2 cup of heavy whipping cream
Optional base flavorings:
- Vanilla Extract (1 teaspoon)
- Amaretto (1-2 tablespoons)
- Essenza per Colomba (Chef’s favorite!)
- Sea Salt
- Cocoa powder
- Powdered Sugar
- Toasted Coconut flakes
- Finely chopped Hazelnuts, Walnuts, Almonds
- In a small, heavy saucepan bring the heavy whipping cream to a simmer.
- If using one of the base flavorings, stir it in with the cream.
- Place the chocolate in a separate bowl. Pour the cream over the chocolate and allow to stand for a few minutes then stir until smooth. (This chocolate base is called ganache.)
- Allow to cool, then place in the refrigerator for at least 2 hours. Remove and with a teaspoon roll out balls of the ganache. Roll in your hands quickly (as it will melt from the heat of your hands) and place on a parchment lined sheet pan. Place in the refrigerator overnight.
- Roll in your favorite coatings and serve, or place back in the refrigerator until needed. Enjoy!