Scallops & Gazpacho
Recipe provided by Austin Personal Chef: Carlos Crusco
Ingredients (serves 4)
- Gazpacho Recipe – provided by Chef Crusco
- 1 small shallot – finely minced and shocked in cold water
- 1 yellow or orange pepper – finely minced
- 2 vine ripe tomatoes – finely minced
- 1 small cucumber – peeled and finely mince
- 2-3 tsbps. Spanish EVOO
- 12 slices Spanish Chorizo Embutido – sliced very thin
- 12 Fresh U-10 Scallops
- 1 parsley – leaves for garnish
- Coarse salt and freshly ground pepper
- Pre-heat the oven to 400 degrees. Using Chef Crusco’s recipe, make the Gazpacho and let sit at room temp. Meanwhile, make the Tropezones which are the finely minced additions traditionally used with Gazpacho.
- Finely mince the shallot (shocking in cold water for 8-10 min’s removes the harsh taste). While waiting, finely mince the peppers, tomatoes and cucumber.
- Heat a saute pan on med-high heat with olive oil. Once shimmering, add chorizo slices and cook until the fat and pimenton (smoked paprika) renders into the oil leaving it a beautiful maroon color full of flavor! Remove the chorizo and place on a paper towel to remove the excess fat.
- Bring the heat back to med-high and once about to start smoking place the scallops (salt/pepper seasoned side down) into the saute pan. Immediately season the other side with salt/pepper and cook for about 2-3 minutes.
- Turn over and cook for another minute. Place into the oven for 3-4 minutes until just cooked through. Remove the scallops to a paper towel lined plate and prepare to plate.
- To serve, ladle some gazpacho in a large, shallow bowl. Place 3 scallops per plate. Position 3 chorizo slices in between each scallop. Garnish the plate with parsley and the shallot, pepper, tomato and cucumber tropezones. Drizzle some of the Spanish EVOO on top and enjoy!