Croquettas de Jamon
Recipe provided by Austin Personal Chef: Carlos Crusco
- 2 tbsps. olive oil, 1 tbsp. unsalted butter
- 2 cups vegetable or canola oil – for frying
- 1 yellow Spanish onion – finely minced
- 1-2 tsps. Pimenton
- 4 heaping tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1 cup milk
- ½ cup chicken stock
- 8-10 ounces Jamon Serrano – finely chopped
- Salt & pepper
- Breading: 1/4 cup flour, 2 eggs, and 1 cup Panko bread crumbs
- In a saute pan, heat olive oil & butter over medium heat. When butter has melted, add the onion and cook until translucent (5-7 minutes). Season with salt/pepper and pimenton. Cook another minute.
- Add flour and, using a wooden spoon or whisk, mix well. Continue to stir or whisk for about 2 minutes, or until the flour is well blended.
- Add 1/2 cup of milk & increase heat to medium-high. Bring mixture to a boil and add remaining milk. Cook, stirring constantly with the spoon or whisk, for about 2-3 minutes.
- Add the stock and continue cooking. Decrease heat to medium and cook, stirring constantly to prevent lumps from forming, for about 5-7 minutes, or until thickened.
- Add Jamon Serrano & stir until evenly distributed. Pour mixture into a casserole dish & spread it evenly to cool down in the refrigerator for at least 3 hours (preferable to let it sit overnight and allow the mixture to set).
- Meanwhile, set up the breading stations: Spread flour on a dinner plate. Break eggs into a bowl and beat lightly until blended. Spread bread crumbs into a large bowl.
- Using hands, shape mixture into walnut-sized croquettes. Then roll in the flour, shaking off excess flour. Dip into beaten egg and roll in bread crumbs, coating it evenly. Set aside and continue. Lay croquettes in a single layer on a platter & refrigerate for 30 minutes before frying.
- Pour oil into large pot over med-high heat. When oil is at 350 degrees, slip 6-8 croquettes into oil, pressing gently to submerge, and fry for about 3-4 minutes or until golden brown on all sides.
- Using slotted spoon, lift out croquettes and transfer to a platter lined with paper towels to drain further. Keep the croquettes warm in a low oven. Fry the rest of the croquettes in the same way, always making sure the oil is hot before adding more croquettes.
- Serve immediately on a platter with fresh parsley and/or lemon wedges. Enjoy!-