Citrus Crema Catalana
Recipe provided by Austin Personal Chef: Carlos Crusco
- 1.5 cups whole milk
- 1/2 cup heavy cream
- 4 tbsps. sugar
- Zest of 1 lemon, 1 lime and 1 orange
- 2 cinnamon sticks
- 4 large egg yolks
- 3 tbsps. Turbinado sugar (coarse brown sugar)
- In a saucepan, combine the milk, cream, sugar, citrus zests and cinnamon sticks. Bring to a simmer over moderate heat. Remove from the heat and allow all those flavors to steep with the milk/cream for 30 minutes to an hour.
- In a bowl, lightly beat the egg yolks. Whisk in some of the infused milk (once cooled), then whisk the yolk mixture into the remaining milk in the saucepan. Strain custard and pour it evenly into small 1 cup ramekins.
- Set the ramekins in a deep baking dish and add enough hot water to the dish to reach halfway up the side of the ramekins. Bake for about 35-45 minutes, or until the custards are barely set.
- Remove the ramekins from the baking dish, let cool slightly and cover loosely with foil. Once cool, wrap each ramekin in plastic wrap and refrigerate the custards until chilled, at least 2 hours or overnight.
- Preheat the broiler or use a kitchen size blow torch. Sprinkle the turbinado sugar evenly over the custards.
- If using the oven, broil 4 inches from the heating element until golden brown, shifting the baking dish for even browning. If using a blow torch, heat the sugar until it starts to bubble and turn golden in color.
- To serve, place the ramekin onto a small dessert plate and garnish with berries and fresh mint. Enjoy!