Avocado, Citrus & Feta Salad
Recipe provided by Chef Crusco Catering in Austin, TX.
Ingredients – Salad
- 1 large Avocado – peeled and cut into 1/4 inch slices
- 1 small Jicama – peeled and cut into 1/4 inch sticks (3-4 inches long)
- 1 large Grapefruit – peel (save the juice), cut within the skin taking only the flesh segments called supremes
- 1 large Navel Orange – peel (save the juice), remove supremes same as above
- 1 Pomelo – peel (save the juice), remove supreme same as above
- 4 tbsps. Feta Cheese – crumbled
- 10 mint leaves – for garnish
- Sea Salt & Pepper – to taste
Ingredients – Citrus Vinaigrette
- Juice from all 3 Citrus above (use only 1/4 cup)
- Sea Salt and fresh ground Pepper – to taste
- Prepare the Jicama and Avocado slices. Set aside. Then start peeling and supreming the citrus. Remember to keep all the juices so best to do this step above a bowl. The juices will be used for the Vinaigrette.
- Using a sharp knife, peel the citrus removing all of the bitter white pith. Working over a small bowl, cut in between the membranes (i.e. skin) to release the sections into a bowl.
- Squeeze the membranes over the bowl to extract half of the juice.
- For the Vinaigrette add the citrus juice to a large bowl and season with salt/pepper.
- Adding drop by drop to start, gradually whisk in all extra virgin olive oil (EVOO). Whisk until dressing is thicker and glossy. Taste and adjust seasoning with salt/pepper and more citrus juice if needed.
- To make the salad, add the Jicama sticks as a bed to the plate or platter. Add the Avocado, Citrus Supremes and Mint throughout the salad. Sprinkle the Feta Cheese all over.
- Spoon the Vinaigrette on the salad and season lightly with salt/pepper. Enjoy!
* The dressing can be prepared ahead and refrigerated in a plastic container for up to 10-12 days.